09 Jul Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship – Delays in Scheduling Appointments at the US Embassy in London
If you want to renounce your U.S. citizenship by the end of the year (December 31, 2015), we recommend that you move quickly. Appointment availability at the U.S. Embassy in London has dramatically slowed down in the past week.
In order to schedule a renunciation appointment at the U.S. Embassy in London, applicants must first email completed forms and copies of the required documents to the embassy.
In our experience, clients who emailed the embassy at the end of June were given a renunciation appointment within two weeks of the request (e.g., July 1st).
As of last week, the embassy is no longer scheduling renunciation appointments. Instead applicants are receiving an email from the embassy acknowledging receipt of the completed paperwork and advising them of the waiting list for appointments. The embassy email states: “Your documentation will be held here at the U.S. Embassy until appointments are allocated. Once appointments are scheduled they will be made on a first come, first served basis.”
The embassy explains that the delay is due to staffing shortages over the summer. We anticipate that the backlog for renunciation appointments may continue until the end of the year. More people wish to renounce in autumn as the end of the year approaches and the embassy will experience further staffing shortages over Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.
As U.S. immigration attorneys, we assist with preparing and submitting a renunciation case to the embassy but we do not offer tax advice. It is critical that you seek independent US tax advice.
We regularly assist clients with the renunciation of their U.S. citizenship and offer a reasonable, flat fee for the case. Our fees include the following:
- Advising you fully on the process, requirements and consequences of renunciation;
- Identifying and addressing any issues/concerns particular to your case;
- Advising you on travel to the United States post-loss of U.S. nationality;
- Preparing and submitting the required documentation;
- Liaising with the embassy prior to your appointment;
- Liaising with your tax advisor throughout the process, particularly regarding the timing for the renunciation appointment;
- Preparing you for the embassy appointment and interview;
- Follow-up regarding the issuance of the Certificate of Loss of Nationality
If you would like advice on renouncing your US citizenship, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org